Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
20140620_architecture_jm023.jpg
Chicago's Merchandise Mart, as seen on the Chicago Architecture Foundation's river cruise. When it opened in 1930 it was the largest building in the world, with 4,000,000 square feet of floor space. Built by Marshall Field & Co. and later owned for over half a century by the Kennedy family, the Mart centralized Chicago's wholesale goods business by consolidating architectural and interior design vendors and trades under a single roof. (DePaul University/Jamie Moncrief)